Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:47:47 -0600
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: where am I supposed to put my rc.firewall?

--Boundary-02=_KlwGAQV7GLJNs63

On Friday 30 January 2004 06:54 pm, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Eric F Crist wrote:
> > I'm trying to add IPFW support.  Where do I put my rc.firewall so that =
it
> > gets read at boot time?  I've tried /usr/local/etc/rc.d and /etc but
> > neither seems to get read.
>
> Specify the location of your firewall script in /etc/rc.conf like so:
>
> firewall_enable=3D'YES'
> firewall_type=3D'/etc/ERICS_firewall'
> firewall_flags=3D'-p /usr/bin/cpp'
>
> [ You might choose to use some other preprocessor... ]

Well, here's what I have now.  I have a file in /etc called grog.firewall. =
=20
It's contents are:

grog# more grog.firewall
ipfw -f flush
ipfw add 100 pass all from any to any via lo0
ipfw add 200 deny all from any to 127.0.0.0/8
ipfw add 300 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
ipfw add 600 allow all from any to any

In my /etc/rc.conf file, I have the following two entries pertaining to the=
=20
firewall:

firewall_enable=3D"YES"
firewall_type=3D"/etc/grog.firewall"

Now, this is a headless system, so I access it through the serial port.  I=
=20
don't see any errors anywhere, but my ipfw show command, immediately after=
=20
boot, shows:

65535 481 38684 deny ip from any to any

What have I done wrong?