Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:34:35 -0800
From:      Piet Delaney <piet@sgi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Delaney <piet@sgi.com>, obrien@freebsd.org, obrien@nuxi.com
Subject:   4.4 Kernel

Hi Guys:

I've been using cvsup over the past few years to update my
system to the latest and greatest. About 6 months to a year ago
I started having trouble booting the latest kernel. One of the
problems I started having was the kernels would stop just after
the printf that it's going to wait for the scsi bus to stabilize.
I mentioned the problem to Dave Obrien but I never got a solution
to the problem and also had problems switching to the new kernel
boot procedure; I was still booting kernels from the root.

Last week I did a cvsup to try to get around a problem with netscape
hanging. After doing a make World from /usr/src I found a stdio global
__stdoutp was undefined and lots of stuff stopped working. I got a CD
set from a friend with 4.4 on it and appear to have both wiped out my
old boot code for kernels from the root and the new 4.4 kernel hangs
while installing at the same old waiting for SCSI to stabilize.

I just ordered a set of CD's for FreeBSD and Linux and hope the
'official'
CD don't have this problem but I'm a skeptic. I suspect the problem is
a bug with support for onboard SCSI.

I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions or thoughts.
In hindsight I suspect I should have made a bigger issue with Dave
and the FreeBSD mailing list folks about the scsi problem. I was busy
and ...

-piet@sgi.com