Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:59:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net>
Subject:   Re: mbuf layout optimizations

=0A=0A--- On Fri, 6/19/09, Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net> wrote:=
=0A=0A> From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net>=0A> Subject: mbuf lay=
out optimizations=0A> To: net@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org=0A> Date: Fr=
iday, June 19, 2009, 5:12 AM=0A> http://people.freebsd.org/~jeff/mbuf2.diff=
=0A> =0A> Hello,=0A> =0A> This is a call for testers and feedback on my mbu=
f layout=0A> improvements. I'm trying to decide whether I will push to=0A> =
have these included in 8.0. After reducing the scope=0A> slightly from my l=
ast patch, I have not encountered any=0A> problems.=A0 Kip Macy has also be=
en using it for the past=0A> few weeks without issue.=0A> =0A> You should n=
ot expect any functional changes from this=0A> patch.=A0 The goal is mostly=
 to pave the way fors more=0A> sensible mbuf handling in the future, althou=
gh it does offer=0A> a few performance benefits.=0A> =0A> The only issue is=
 that cxgb support requires another set of=0A> patches from Kip.=A0 If anyo=
ne needs those I will prod=0A> him to reply with that diff.=0A> =0A> Thanks=
,=0A> Jeff=0A=0AI thought that the purpose of m_tags was to keep individual=
 applications from having to "patch" mbufs. Has that idea proven to be too=
=0Aperformance-challenged?=0A=0ABarney=0A=0A=0A