Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 1996 08:23:27 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 Help

Greg Lehey wrote:

> Gary Chrysler writes:
> >
> > Sridhar Krishnan wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks taking the time to respond.
> >>
> >> 1. cu -l cuaa0
> >> says "connected". Then when I type "ATDTE1Q0", I am expecting "OK".
> >> Nothing happens. When I quit out with ~. it takes a minute to disconnect.
> >> Yet another person aksed me disable PnP (plug and Play) option. I do not
> >> know how-to. I'll give it a try. It is an internal modem and it is hard
> >> to diagnose without any lights. I also tried cu -x9 -l cuaa0. Did not
> >> help since there is no response from the modem. It is an MWave 28.8
> >> Internal modem.
> >>

> > Combining commands and settings in the same string makes many brain
> > dead modems choke and puke!
>
> I haven't seen this one, but as somebody else pointed out, he's trying
> to dial.
>
> > For testing, Set you modem speaker on (most are default on)
> > ATM1L3 <enter> (should get OK)
> > ATDT <enter> (should get dialtone)
>
> The very first thing I do with a new modem is even simpler:
>
> AT
>
> Every modem should come back right away with OK.  *Then* you can start
> testing the modem.
>
> Greg

Yes, Greg that will work just fine as long as your modem is in
echo mode (ATE1), Else it will not work! Yes, From the factory
most modems have ATE1 set versus ATE0.
Not something I like to bank on.. (I don't trust manufactures)

I find ATDT is much easier to rely on. It can be heard, Even
if your modem speaker is set to ATM0 you will get a `click` from
the modem.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848