Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:40:46 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation configuration

Kevin Kinsey writes:

>  >Is there any way to install freebsd very easily
>  >just by popping in a cd rom and following prompts?
>  >I tried it and got nowhere fast.
>
>  I would maintain that FreeBSD isn't terribly difficult
>  to install.  But if by "prompts" you mean 6.49 "Yes/No"
>  type questions, the answer is, "of course not."  It's
>  a tad more like Christmas Eve:  put the kids to bed,
>  collect the tools, open the box, RTFM, and put it
>  together before dawn.....

	It is my understanding this is not technically true.
	If I had 100 identical machines, I would investigate the "make
release" path and roll my own.  I believe this gives you the ability
to include a configuration file which auto-answers most if not all
of the sysinsall questions.
	For a single machine, there is - or a least used to be - an
"express" install option.  I've never used it, so I have no idea how
"express" it was.

				Robert Huff