Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 11:50:19 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Broken libc!

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 02:26:04AM -0500, Christopher Farley wrote:
> The libc.so.4 hash is different, so I suspect it may be the source of my
> problem. It also appears that replacing this file is somewhat
> non-trivial. When I attempt to remove the file, I get an "Operation
> not permitted," probably because it's linked to a ton of running
> programs.
>
> Is there even a way to replace this file?

Copy the good version of the libc.so.4 file onto your broken machine
using a different filename:

    scp goodmachine:/usr/lib/libc.so.4 /usr/lib/libc.so.4.good

Shut your machine down, and then boot up to single user mode, and move
the bad file out of the way and the good file into place.  This file
is marked immutable using chflags(1) so depending on what security
level you run at, you may need to be in single user to do anything.
It's a good idea to go to single user whenever when you're fiddling
with something so vital to the system:

    shutdown -r now
    [...]
    cd /usr/lib