Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 23:21:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "gil i. pollas" <rone@ennui.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making egcs the default for building ports

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, gil i. pollas wrote:

> Chuck Robey writes:
>   On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, J. Heinrich wrote:
>   > On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 04:01:26PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>   > > Most often, you can do:
>   > > setenv CC (path to your egcs compiler)
>   > > setenv CXX (path to your egcs C++ compiler)
>   > But I'd have to remember to do this every time.
>   certainly not.  Either stick it in your .cshrc (or the equivalent
>   startup file for your chosen shell) or (far better) make a shell script
>   that changes your PATH variable, or resets your path variable back
>   again.
>
> Unfortunately, that carries over when you want to build a kernel or
> world.  Most of us probably don't want that.

No it does not, you didn't read the whole paragraph.  You make a shell
script the changes it, and invoke the shell script to run your port
compile.  You then either source your shell startup file to reset your
path, or if your shell startup isn't idempotent, then make another short
shell script to reset your path, use it and then do your kernel build.

  Maybe there should be a
> separate *CC variable that applies to the system build.  Perhaps this
> should go to -stable?
>
> rone
> --
> el mercado on the corner has grande bags of clues rilly cheapo.
> 				- Patrick J. Finerty <pfinerty@nyx10.nyx.net>

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).