Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:08:22 -0300
From:      Alexandre Florio <alexandre@cipher.com.br>
To:        Trevin Chow <trevin@mail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Messed up bash configuration?

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:02:55 -0800
Trevin Chow <trevin@mail.com> wrote:

> I was reading a HowTo on bash and I'm getting a weird problem when I try
> su to another user.  I'm not sure if its related to my chanages or
> not.  When i try to su to another user, it doesn't prompt me for a
password
> and I get this:
>
> -=(root@benny)(504/ttyp0)(12:03P:02/23/01)=-
> @(/home/tmchow)--# su tonyt
> su-2.04$ ls
> ls: .: Permission denied
>
> Any ideas what's going on?  I'm able to login as these users directly
with
> no problems

When you are root you don't need to supply a password to substitute your
identity with another user (man su). The 'permission denied' that appears when you
issue an 'ls' command, is because the path that you were before the 'su'
command be executed is not readable by the 'tonyt' user.

--
Alexandre Florio