Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:14:28 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let's nail some things down.

On Wednesday, 28 October 1998 at 11:15:10 -0800, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> We will have two logos. "Works with" and "Designed for". Do we
> agree?

No.  Well, yes, in principle, but I haven't thought about it enough.
I'm not overly happy with the exact wording "designed for", but I
can't think of anything better at the moment.  I think this is a point
that we can bounce around a bit.  Also, I'm not sure that three
wouldn't be better, as discussed.

> The test for "Works with" should be a simple "can it run under some sort
> of emulation?" (E.G acroread)

OK.

> The test for "Designed for" should be "can we build it from source?"
> or "did the developer build FreeBSD native
> binaries?". (E.G. netscape and all source available ports)

Maybe.  I'm certainly expecting native FreeBSD binaries to be the
predominant case.

> Do the above statements seem reasonable? If so, let's set them in
> stone so we can reduce the number of degrees of freedom in this
> problem and work toward a solution.

It's too early to cast them in stone.  In addition, we haven't looked
at the third category, the "not FreeBSD, but vendor supplies
installation aids for FreeBSD users".

> I think Wes' concerns about "giant infrastructure" are valid. I
> think the KISS principle should apply. Do we agree?

Yes, finally :-)

Greg