Date:      28 Feb 2003 13:17:46 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: df outpout inconsistancy on a large filesystem...

Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 01:38:49AM -0800, Peter Losher wrote:
> > So I have a 440GB partition set up on a server I am building, and I am
> > experiencing a problem where I am getting inconsistent df output for that
> > partition:
> >
> > # du -k /disk1
> > 960552  /disk1
> >
> > #df -k /disk1
> > Filesystem    1K-blocks Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/twed0s1f 441694392    1256 406357592     0%    /disk1
> >
> > As you can see, the numbers don't match.  Has anyone else experienced this?
> > (the other partitions on the system are reporting normally)  Just for
> > completeness sake, this partition was newfs'ed with a 8k filesize, and a
> > 64k blocksize.  Also softupdates is active on this partition.  The
> > system/disk/partition looks to be working fine, just the df output is
> > 'disturbing'. :(
>
> That's a FAQ:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#DU-VS-DF
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

I don't know about that; it would explain the situation if du(1) were
giving *smaller* numbers than df(1), but bigger doesn't really make
sense.  Still, I wonder if unmounting would clear it; I'd definitely
advise running fsck(8) on it, and it would need to be unmounted (or
mounted read-only) for that.