Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:00:02 +0200
From:      Michael Ranner <michael@ranner.eu>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Zfs locking up process
References:  <CAFoaQoDdKHzASfgxY7ptHuqk=nCsxvpq4q3gr9_QsUK4Hkim9w@mail.gmail.com> <CAFoaQoCB5CmorF4wfabz7iBaqxzxxggdqJiqePUTqLCnFichWA@mail.gmail.com> <CAFoaQoAt--8pGh_vGVTfVWjEBJ5uRM0Tr6TS-czFbQ-eSHKvXg@mail.gmail.com> <CAFoaQoDVt5eJKTjcmGmR2fmQoL_WQV1ZebNUb_K9qLY4=cOi6A@mail.gmail.com> <561A2A4B.4080704@ranner.eu> <561A5445.40603@multiplay.co.uk> <561A660E.1020905@ranner.eu> <561A68EB.5080202@multiplay.co.uk>

Am 11.10.15 um 15:49 schrieb Steven Hartland:

> On 11/10/2015 14:37, Michael Ranner wrote:

>>> I'd have to disagree with this we have hundreds of machines on 10.1
>>> which uses nullfs every day and we've never seen a lockup.
>>>
>>> Given that do you have more information about this e.g. PR?
>> There are some posts to freebsd-fs in 2014 like this:
>>
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2014-November/020482.html
>>
>> And an in depth insight von Andriy Gapon:
>>
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2014-September/020072.html
>>
>> The problem will become more frequently with heavy snapshot usage on
>> the underlying ZFS datasets.
>
> There's been lots a movement in ZFS since 9.x so it would be good to
> confirm what FreeBSD version the original poster is using. I suspect
> it is 9.3 and if so the first action would be to check on latest 10
> release i.e. 10.2 at this time, to ensure its not already been addressed.
>
> Looking at the FreeNAS site FreeNAS-10 ALPHA is out which is based off
> 10.2 so it would be worth testing that, given the announcement post
> though this should be done with caution.
>
>     Regards
>     Steve
I have this problem (exact the same stack trace) in all 9.* and 10.1
releases, but the problem does not occur on all servers. Some systems
run stable for 100eds of days and specific systems trigger the problem
several times in one week. It seems, that some workload will trigger it,
especially when snapshot operations are also in progress.

Since I removed all nullfs mounts for my web datasets (Apache 2.2/2.4,
PHP 5.*) the systems are rock stable. But fyi: I have no problems with
nullfs mounts of the ports tree to my jails and building ports. I
have/had also no problems on my poudriere build system, running
poudriere since early days.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ing. Michael Ranner