Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:04:45 +0000
From:      Pietro Cerutti <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: problem due to hostname change

On 17 Mar 2005 09:57:26 -0500, Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> Pietro Cerutti <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi list,
> > my computer is not part of a domain, and so I had set my hostname to
> > <old_hostname>.
> > Now I changed it in rc.conf to <new_hostname>:
> >
> > ~> cat /etc/rc.conf | grep hostname
> > hostname="<new_hostname>"
> > ~>
> >
> > I rebooted, but my pc is still somewhere configured to be called <old_hostname>.
> > First of all, when the pc boots, I see this in dmesg:
> >
> > FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE #10: Wed Mar  9 15:40:46 UTC 2005
> >     <my_name>@<old_hostname>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GAHR
>
> That's not a problem; all it means is that's who built the kernel.  It
> doesn't get used for *anything* other than printing that message.
>
> > Then, when I try to start apache, I see this in my
> > /var/log/httpd-error.log, and apache won't start:
> >
> > [Thu Mar 17 13:29:11 2005] [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to
> > gethostbyname("<old_hostname>")
>
> You must have put the old hostname into Apache's configuration
> explicitly.  You will need to change it by hand.  The configuration
> file is (by default, as installed from the port)
> /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf.

No, this is not the problem. I searched in httpd.conf but I didn't
find anything concerning my <old_hostname>.

I even deinstalled & deleted the configuration files & reinstalled apache.

Don't forget this:
FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE #10: Wed Mar  9 15:40:46 UTC 2005
<my_name>@<old_hostname>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GAHR

Here I have my <old_hostname> too.

> > My question is: how can I change my hostname to <new_hostname> safely,
> > in a way that the <old_hostname> is not used anymore in any part of
> > the OS?
>
> Changing rc.conf is enough for anything that was configured
> automatically.

It should be so, but it actually isn't.

If you changed some other configuration by hand, you
> will need to change it again by hand.  Note that if you had not added
> your hostname to httpd.conf, Apache would have used the system
> hostname by default (I believe; I haven't actually checked this
> recently).

I'm sure I didn't set my <old_hostname> anywhere else than in rc.conf

> Be well.

However, thank you for your advice, but it didn't solve my problem...

--
Pietro Cerutti
<pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>

Beansidhe - SwiSS Death / Thrash Metal