Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 14:12:15 +0200
From:      "Loic Mahe'" <mahe@twam.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pb. with wt0

Hello,

I've just installed an old wt0 device (Tandberg Data) for QIC-02 tapes
on my FreeBSD 3.1.
The drive is recognized at boot time :
> wt0 at 0x300-0x301 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
> wt0: type <Wangtek>

But, if I try to use it, with tar for example :
tar -cvf /dev/rwt0 <directory> (or /dev/rwt0d since I use 150 Mb tapes),
the tape drive seems to freeze after a few minutes of saving (the prompt
doesn't come back)
and stays quiet. I have to remove the tape to release the prompt (even
kill can't supress
the process).

Once, the following message even came out, when I tried to read the
(incomplete) archive
I had just made :
> /kernel: wt0: Block not located
and the entire FreeBSD system simply *crashed* (in fact I found the
message in /var/log/messages
after reboot) !!

On the opposite, if I try to save only a small directory, tar seems to
work well.

Is the tape drive damaged (it's hard for me to believe that a damaged
drive could
make the system crash, but ...), or the wt driver broken, or am I using
the wrong device
(between /dev/rwt0 or /dev/rwt0d) ?

Thanks in advance (reply by mail please)

Loic, Toulouse/France