Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2017 15:25:51 +0800
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   igb stats double counting in 12-CURRENT r319025

Hi everyone,

I have noticed my networking statistics appear to be double counting on two
of my FreeBSD 12-CURRENT boxes running r319025. Could someone please help
me to find the problem (I believe it is likely to be a bug in the
networking driver).

I discovered the double counting by comparing the output of "systat
-ifstat" (which reports 988 KB/s) with the output of "iftop -B" (which
reports 491 KB/s). I know that iftop is the correct one, because my
internet speed only gives me around ~500 KB/s unfortunately.

# systat -ifstat -match igb0
      Interface           Traffic               Peak                Total
           igb0  in    988.008 KB/s        988.008 KB/s           36.295 GB
                 out    16.953 KB/s         16.953 KB/s          295.774 GB

# iftop -i igb0 -B
TX:             cum:   31.7KB   peak:
9.69KB
rates:   9.69KB  7.92KB  7.92KB
RX:                    1.54MB
491KB
491KB   394KB   394KB

The two interfaces in these boxes are:

$ pciconf -lvv | grep igb1 -A4
igb1@pci0:4:0:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x00008086 chip=0x15398086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'I211 Gigabit Network Connection'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

$ pciconf -lvv | grep igb0 -A4
igb0@pci0:8:0:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x15331849 chip=0x15338086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'I210 Gigabit Network Connection'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

Regards,
Ben