Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:55:06 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ABIs and 5.x branch: freeze kernel module ABI at 5.0 or 5.1?

On (2002/11/26 23:59), Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> It's very simple in my mind: we only freeze ABI's on -stable branches
> (and we actually even  violated that for 4-stable I belive).
>
> Whenever we branch a new -stable from -current, that's when we freeze
> the ABI's for that branch.

I agree, but I think that this attitude warrants a different name for
pre-branch releases.

Things have changed to the point where a large number of users don't
understand the implications of point-naught releases.

I'd go so far as to say that 5.0-RELEASE should be renamed to
5.0-PREVIEW and that 5.1-RELEASE should be renamed to 5.0-RELEASE.

I really didn't want to send this message because I know people will
fixate on the name to use, instead of the issue that pre-branch releases
should be named differently from post-branch releases.

Ciao,
Sheldon.