Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:16:27 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, picoBSD <small@FreeBSD.ORG>, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trinux (+ a proposal)

> Ah... You think of using ctk instead of libdialog?

I'm using neither.  The generic UI stuff (called HUI) uses turbovision
or Qt, depending on what it sees as the appropriate choice.

> Have you already done this special hack, or is this just a speculation?
> :-) I mean, it would be very useful to have something like this anyway...

No, a resizable MFS is a "project" for somebody.

> I don't get it.. Where copied to?

I meant that the pages are not needlessly duplicated, that's all.  So
you can run stuff out of MFS directly.

> Not only that - I have yet to discover how to minimize the _contents_ of
> standard system libraries, because they usually contain much cruft you
> don't need in case of this particular set of programs. The reason is that

If you're doing your own linking, it's also conceivable that you could
pull pieces out of libraries selectively.  I'm not saying it'd be
easy, but anything the linker does you can also duplicate. :)

> Yes, definitely. Given the fact that normal boot.flp undergoes certain,
> uhm, crisis right now, perhaps we should finally join our efforts and come
> up with something which will be able to build (almost) any kind of
> bootable floppy. How about it?

Well, I'm all for that, but there are some critical pieces of the
technology that are missing first. :)

BTW, a large part of the reason for using TCL is that you can actually
do a _large_ number of things without ever involving an external
binary if you plan your TCL toolset well enough.  Ideally, it should
be possible to do just about everything short of ppp and ssh without
requiring anything but the bootstrap and a script, and if we could get
our kernel ppp to be as robust and featureful as the userland ppp in
some key areas (dial on demand, better scripting), we wouldn't even
need ppp as an external binary - you'd set up the ppp connection through
a TCL script.

- Jordan