Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 18:19:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, olah@cs.utwente.nl, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard lockout on 2.x.x

> >> Søren, time to make it the default?
>
> Time to rewrite the keyboard driver?

Yep and has been for a looooong time...

I've started on the project some time ago, but I'm still agueing with
myself how it should be done, also taking the ps/2 mouse into the
picture and making a separate kbd driver out of it (which the
console driver then talks to).
I seem to be stuck on the pro's and con on this, and has sort of
given up on it again :(

> >I'm not sure that everyone would like it, because a virtual console
> >switch takes now a few 10th's of a second during which the system
> >seems to be halted (at least the HD stops grinding).  I'm still
>
> The delay is because ASYNCH is less asynchronous than !ASYNCH.
> kbd_cmd() is always called at spltty(), so keyboard interrupts are
> blocked, so `kbd_reply' is as nonvolatile as it looks in the ASYNCH
> spinloop in kbd_cmd(), so the spinloop always times out.  The
> keyboard reply is received and discarded some time later.  Perhaps
> this sort of works by waiting for a few thousand times as long as
> necessary instead of a few microseconds shorter than necessary.

*sigh*, that was not the intend with it, I guess its been screwed
at some point in time.

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..