Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:28:55 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        chat@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        janet@sanbi.ac.za
Subject:   Bioinformatics Open Source Conference, 17-18 Aug, San Diego

Damn, I should've posted this earlier!

The Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC - previously BioPerl) takes
place in San Diego on 17-18 August.  Unfortunately registration has already
closed - hence my lament that I forgot to post earlier!  See:
  http://ismb00.sdsc.edu/bosc2000/

I will be attending with others from my company and our associated academic
institute (http://www.sanbi.ac.za/).

Some background as to why this is something FreeBSD users might want to take
note of (long - you may skip to summary at the end):

You've probably all read the media reports about the completion of a first
draft sequence of the human genome last month:
  http://www.sanger.ac.uk/HGP/draft2000/

Contrary to what the press hullabaloo might have suggested, this wasn't an
end - it was a beginning.  We haven't found the "source code" for the human
species - we found the binary image in memory.  Our task over the next few
years (decades?) will be to disassemble that binary and get back to fully
commented source code in a high level language.  Calling this "difficult" may
be the understatement of the new millennium.

<hype>
The science that is attempting this task is known as Bioinformatics.  It is a
already the focus of dozens of elite academic establishments around the
world, and forms the backbone of a nascent multi-billion dollar industry.  It
is where computer science meets the biosciences - in fact, bioinformatics
research requires massive amounts of processing power, and some of the bigger
supercomputers in the world are dedicated to it.  In terms of human
scientific progress, this may well be "where it's at" for the next decade or
so.
</hype>

Coming to this field from a commercial internet environment that would be
familiar to many of you, where I too constantly fought the good fight against
the hordes of Microsoft, I was amazed and not a little flabbergasted to find
that here, Unix is the _only_ game in town.  Literally.  A bioinformatics
application that runs on Windows?  Never heard of one.  You'd be ostracised
for even suggesting it.

Most bioinformatics applications are huge, monolithic, archaic, incredibly
expensive and run on equally expensive commercial Unix boxes.  SGI, Sun and
Compaq all play big roles on the hardware side of things.  They support the
academic institutes with hardware, which means research crystallises into
software that runs on their operating systems, which means they can move
truckloads of boxes to big pharmaceuticals.

As you might guess, a few insidious individuals down in the trenches have
been saying, "Hey, this sucks.  Look at those internet blokes developing all
their software collaboratively and giving it away.  We can do the same."  And
so a number of open source initiatives in the field of bioinformatics have
been established, though most of them are still very young and immature.

You can get some feel for the role of open source in bioinformatics by
reading Lincoln Stein's article about "How Perl saved the Human Genome
Project" here:
  http://www.bioperl.org/GetStarted/tpj_ls_bio.html

Or see Ewan Birney's plea to help "Hack the Genome" on advogato:
  http://advogato.org/article/131.html

Some of these projects - all of which will be the subjects of presentations at
BOSC2000 - are:

The Bio* projects - Bioperl, BioPython, BioJava, BioXML, BioCorba - they all
have .org domains; you can guess the URLs.  These tools all aim at providing
the basic building blocks for developing bioinformatics applications in their
respective environments.  And there's a lot of cross-pollination going on
too.

Ensembl is a fully open source gene annotation pipeline.  That'll take too
long to explain, but you can find out a lot more on their site:
  http://www.ensembl.org/

DAS, the distributed annotation system, may be one of the killer apps of the
field.  You can find out more here...
  http://www.genetics.wustl.edu/eddy/people/robin/das

And read the interesting Wired article about how DAS means gene research
meets Napster, Gnutella and Freenet here:
  http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,35404,00.html?tw=wn20000405

Oh, and Tim O'Reilly will provide a token presence from the open source side
of things by delivering one of the keynotes.

Right, this is turning into an article, but let me continue.  Where does
FreeBSD fit in?  Unfortunately, nowhere yet.  As more and more effort is put
into open source bioinformatics, the word on everybody's lips is, of course,
"Linux".  Since this is an area where massive amounts of processing power is
the norm, another word that has been bandied about is "Beowulf".  However,
the field is rooted in commercial Unix, and you can get a feel for some of
the Linux vs. Unix debate from these pages:

  http://www.portlandpress.com/biochemist/cyber/0006/default.htm
  http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/CB/Linux.html

They detail a specific lab's decision-making process.  Eventually the lab
went for an Alphaserver over a couple of Linux boxes, _mostly_ because of
Linux's 2GB file size limit.  Erk.

As a FreeBSD user in bioinformatics, I see two obvious tasks ahead of me
(when I can find the time between the myriad other things on my plate):
- Educating the FreeBSD community about bioinformatics.
- Educating the bioinformatics community about FreeBSD.

In summary:

Bioinformatics is a 100% Unix-dominated field - one of the few remaining.  It
is about to become a Very Big Thing indeed.  Unless I (and others in my
position) do some advocacy of FreeBSD as a stable, secure, standard platform,
it is likely to be a Linux-dominated field a few years from now.

I've started working on ports of some bioinformatics tools and will submit
them in due course.  I'd also like to provide some feedback after BOSC if
anyone is interested.  (Maybe I could get Daemon News interested?)

-- Johann