Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:14:26 -0800
From:      David Newman <dnewman@networktest.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   umount/mount with HighPoint RocketRaid 1820A

Greetings. I am using a HighPoint RocketRAID 1820A controller with
FreeBSD 6.0-RELENG and the hptmv driver.

Six of the eight drives connected to the 1820A are in a RAID5 array. The
other two drives are mounted as single devices, not part of any array. I
am using these two drives as backup volumes.

I can successfully umount one of the single drives, remove the drive,
and insert a new drive:

# umount /backup2
#

from /var/log/messages:
Mar  1 08:38:32 lance kernel: hptmv: Device removed: controller 1 channel 7
Mar  1 08:39:00 lance kernel: RR182x [0,7]: channel started successfully

However, I  cannot remount the new drive, even though it is already
formatted:

# mount -o rw -t ufs /dev/da2s1d /backup2
mount: /dev/da2s1d: Input/output error

I then tried using fdisk and label from sysinstall, but neither let me
write changes to the new drive.

The only sure way I've found to swap and remount single drives is with a
reboot. Is there another method that doesn't require a reboot?

Thanks!

dn