Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:18:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        grog@freebsd.org (Greg Lehey), Adam <element@Dim.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Query:  How to tell if Microsoft is using BSD TCP/IP code?

> > An article over on www.Kuro5hin.org by a someone who claims
> > to be a former MS employee describes the stack used in NT back
> > in the early 90's as code which was liscensed from a company
> > called 'Spider'.
>
> This must be Spider in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Indeed.

> The Spider I'm thinking of had nothing to do with QNIX.  They made
> custom communications software.  At Tandem we used their X.25 stack.
> I didn't know that they also did TCP/IP stuff, but it's plausible.

Splutter.  You must have had the same sales wally who failed to specify
that Microsoft's royalty buyout apply only to the NT platform!

Oh yes, Tandem.  Weren't they only Spider customer who didn't seem to be
able to print their own copies of our documentation, losing our guys a good
bit of cupboard space for stock?!  (Apologies if I mixed up customers here.)

> > "...Along with Spider's stack came versions of various
> > TCP/IP-related utility programs,
>
> It's possible to read into this that their stack was primarily
> non-TCP/IP, which would fit.

No it was TCP/IP alright; they bought SpiderTCP and SpiderSTREAMS
(a highly portable STREAMS implementation which lets Spider's stacks
run in pretty much any environment).

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses