Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:58:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        bennett@cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: burning 5.3-RELEASE CDs

>      On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:55:10 -0700 Danny MacMillan
> <flowers@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 06:35:43PM -0600, Scott Bennett wrote:

> >>      On what basis is the above statement made if you haven't used
> >> Sonic RecordNow! ?  It certainly looks to me as though the green
> >> button is the *only* way to burn an image (not counting making an
> >> exact copy of
> >
> >On the basis of your characterizing the little green button as being
> >"for making a bootable CD", and my understanding of that function in
> >alternative software.  In short:  I misunderstood.  I apologize for
> >the misdirection.
> >
>      Oh.  That was because, if one places the cursor over the green
> button, a box appears temporarily bearing a line that says, "Click
> here to make this CD/DVD bootable".  And, as noted in a different
> posting in this thread, that button brings up a browser panel for
> choosing an image file (but not displaying .iso files among the
> choices) to burn in making the bootable disk.

Just an additional note for clarity:   If I understand - and I don't
have the rest of the thread so I may be missing something - you want
to make a bootable CD of one of the ISO images.

In that case, you do NOT want to use any of the options on your local
machine to create a bootable CD because the ISO image is already a
bootable image.   It needs merely to be written raw to the media.

When your utility asks if you want to create a bootable CD, it is
asking if you want it to add a boot record for it and the other pointers
to the file to make it bootable.   Since the FreeeBSD ISO already has
that stuff in it, you don't want it done again.  So, choose the options
that just write the data image directly to the CD with no additions.

////jerry