Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 00:26:20 +1000 (EST)
From:      Richard Lyon <rlyon@oznet02.ozemail.com.au>
To:        tuc@stormking.com
Cc:        kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installing freebsd

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Scott J. Ellentuch wrote:

> 	Still the same problem.  The image is 1,474,567 and the disk is
> 1,45?,??? (Can't rememeber exactly).  When I do boot the disk, I get the
> FreeBSD header, it tried to boot kernel, and says it can't find it.  Thats
> alot more than I expected since it didn't write the entire .flp to the
> disk.

Under DOS the reported size of 1,457,664 bytes refers to the free space on
the disk. The total capacity of the disk must also include space for the
boot sector and FAT.

The floppy images do fit on a 1.44M disk. I used rawrite2, which I
downloaded from ftp.debian.org. If you are having problems and have tried
a number of new floppies, it may indicate a problem with your
machine/drive. Try it on some one else's machine. You should be able to
run rawrite2 on any microsoft operating system.

With version 2.2.1 the only problem I had with floppies is that I tend to
pull the disk out before the machine has finished writing to the disk.

Hope this helps ...