Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 13:52:12 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: JetDirect 500X and FreeBSD

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:

> Does anyone have any experiance or information about using HP JetDirect 500X
> Printer Hubs with FreeBSD ?  This is mission critical for my company, so any
> information greatly appriciated.

These things have an LPD server built in IIRC, so your could just
configure them as a remote LPD printer in /etc/printcap.

However, I've not been totally satisfied with some of HP's earlier
attempts at LPD support in JetDirect cards for their lasers printers, as
they weren't particularly reliable, particularly when multiple jobs were
queued simultaneously.  I hope their more recent stuff is better behaved.

You might want to check out LprNg or CUPS to see whether they support the
native HP protocol (on port 9100???) if your box doesn't seem to cope, so
that one box can be the "print server" and thus serialize all the jobs.
We do this at work, although in that case NT is providing the "print
server" function.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac@pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia