Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 22:58:15 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov
Cc:        jbrann@panix.com, JSINNOTT@pomona.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shutdown MSGS

>     James> Obviously it had started developing bad sectors and the
>     James> first one happened to be in the swap partition. So if you
>     James> ever see this message, start backing up immediately!
>
> No!  Start backing up now!

All right, all right, I knew I should have added the words "if you
haven't already done so" :-)

> Seriously, any installation without a
> backup procedure is just asking for it.  The standard Unix backup
> software (dump, restore) is one way to get started.  Amanda is
> another.  BRU is yet another.

Agreed. Actually, my backup was a 420MB IDE drive, of which FreeBSD
can only see 327MB (for reasons which no-one has been able to
convincingly explain to me) - this is just big enough to hold backups
of my CVS tree and home directory and a minimal FreeBSD install, but
not enough to do any work :-(

> Even Micro$oft Windoze comes with a backup program; the fact that they
> expect you to backup to a hundred or so floppies is absurd.  But,
> that's the PC market!

Not that absurd for those of us who can't afford several hundred
pounds for a tape drive - in fact I'm backing up my ex-backup drive as
I speak!

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk