Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 15:50:04 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@cris.crimea.ua>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, ru@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change man{1} output width

hi,

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 03:09:23PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> I'm using non - standard FreeBSD console geometry (100x37) and just wonder how
> I can adjust groff configuration to format man pages for 100 columns instead of
> default 80. I've tried to add .ll macro to the end of the
> /usr/share/tmac/man.local but it seems doesn't have any visible effect :-(.
> Does anybody with more deep knowledge of groff could advice me on this issue?
>
> In general it would be nice if someone would teach man(1) to respect COLUMNS
> environmental variable - all xterm users would definitely benefit from that.

I have made patches to change default width to 40 chars per Ruslan Ermilov's
request. Since I removed these patches few months ago try to ask him
(ru@FreeBSD.org) and just customize them with changing default values.

PS: You need not to change anything in man(1). All issues are directly related
to groff(1).

--
/* Alexey Zelkin                       && phantom@cris.net    */
/* Tavric National University          && phantom@crimea.edu  */