Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 13:13:53 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange Linux emulation behaviour ...

O Hartman O pined,

> We use on several UNIX boxes running FreeBSD 4.3 STABLE as cvsupdated 5 days
> ago. Additionaly, we use Lahey's LF95 Fortran compiler for Linux. Since the
> last cvsupdate on all machines the Fortran compiler worked well. We did our
> last cvsupdate bevor the last one about 20 days ago.

> Compiling a simple hello world works well. Then, when starting the program
> once, it produces output as expected. But calling it a second time gives me this:

> An I/O error was detected (c library=getcwd, unit=10)
> It is strange: I changed current directory and rechanged back to the
> little program's working directory and called it again - and it worked, for
> onne call only! Then doing cd again and re-cd into the working dir.

> What's going on?

I can't answer that, but I've seen some oddness, too.  Right now I'm
testing the Absoft and Portland Group Compilers.  There seems to be
some schizophrenia about paths, and a certain "now you see it, now you
don't" when working with linux emulation.

Have you tried it from within a linux shell? (/compat/linux/bin/tcsh
(or whatever))

And how are you debugging?  The X versions of pgroup and absoft
debuggers require vmware at the moment, as near as I can tell.  WHat do
you use for a graphical debugger with Lahey?  It would generally seem
to be my best choice, but I can't get by on my applications without
being to watch a whole slew of variables step by step . . .

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail