Date:      Mon,  6 Sep 1999 22:24:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      tbuswell@acadia.net
To:        "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI modems do not work???

Andrew Reilly writes:
 > Does anyone know whether there's more to a "WinModem" than a
 > line hybrid, a codec and a PCI interface?

"It Depends".  For many of them, yes, that's pretty much all there is.

However Motorola (at least) has a reference design for a "WinModem"
that uses their DSP56303 on the board, which has some nice advantages
outside of the fact that the host really doesn't have to do much when
the modem is operating.  I have yet to get my hands on one, however.

I've been casually buying WinModems that advertise a Motorola chipset
in the hopes of eventually getting one of these, just because I've
been doing a fair amount of work with the DSP56303 lately.  So far,
I've got two $10 coasters -- Motorola also sells "single chip softmodems"
that just have a codec (the PCI interface chip is listed in their product
selection guide, but attempts to get programming information on them
hasn't gone anywhere yet).

This was a topic on slashdot a while back, and there's a website of
marginal value on the topic -- linmodems.org

-Ted