Date:      Fri, 12 May 2006 11:35:41 -0500
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Pros and Cons of running under inetd....

Hello,

I run sshd and ftpd on my laptop.  I generally start them via:
   sshd_enable="YES"
   ftpd_enable="YES"
in my rc.conf.

What are the pros/cons of running them via inetd?

This is in no way a high load or production machine.  Just my laptop
that I need access to from time to time.

The one pro I have noticed (which is rather important to me) is that
ftpd does not heed hosts.allow directives when NOT run via inetd.  Am I
correct in this?  I prefer to use tcpwrappers to further protect my sshd
and ftpd.  I generally keep ftpd firewalled off from the world and when
someone needs to (anonymous) ftp something to me I open the firewall.
But it would be nice to allow only their IP using hosts.allow (as I just
enable/disable a generic ruleset in ipfw).  So should I forget to
disable the ruleset in ipfw then I am not open all day till I reboot.

Thanks.
--
Regards,
Eric