Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:15:46 -0600
From:      Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some un-biased numbers on OS distributions...

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 03:09:49AM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
-->
--> Over the past couple of days, I've been trying to come up with some
--> reasonably unbiased numbers concerning distribution of operating systems
--> on the Internet...the numbers are depressing so far:
-->
--> Operating System Summary
--> OS       # of Hosts % of Hosts
--> Windows       37929      74.94
--> Linux          4750       9.39
--> Macintosh      2044       4.04
--> SunOS          1691       3.34
--> FreeBSD         336       0.66
-->
--> Granted, the sample size is still only ~50,000 hosts, but the %ages stay
--> pretty consistant as most hosts come on line...are we *really* that far
--> behind?
-->
--> Full results can be seen at http://www.hub.org/OS_Survey, and just by
--> hitting that page, you add to the results...

I think one of the weaknesses of using vistors to collect IPs is you will get
a sampling of the desktop population. The server population will be totally
invisible. All the web servers at yahoo will not visit your site. I am also
am curious what operating systems MSIE, NAV are. I thing that the heavy duty
server oses are underrepresented. I would expect more HPUX, AIX, SUN, and
FreeBSD in a server population. Could you test HTTPD/FTP/Telnet ports to
try and identify servers vs desktops. I am glad that FreeBSD is even visible
in the desktop domain.

--
When I was a kid I had to rub sticks together to multiply and divide numbers.
A calculator was a job description.