Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 11:02:42 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance issues with dd

Hi,

I used dd once to duplicate disk drive and after a few tries I
found that bs=16k was about the quickest. Try playing around with
the block size (bs) and see if it makes any difference. There is
probably a way calculate this but I don't know about it.

Regards
Willem Brown

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 07:59:40PM -0700, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:
> As a backup measure, I'm using two hard drives of the same size,
> but only mounting one, and I have a cron job that dd's one to
> the other every night. The drives are 18 GB U160 SCSI, on a
> AHA-29160N. The whole process takes 45 minutes. A quick calc
> tells me it should be finished at best in 2 minutes, at peak
> rate. This is over a 20x difference.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why it's taking so long? Is it just
> dd that's the problem? The CPU is a PIII 650, and there's more
> than enough memory to go, so I don't think the CPU would be
> any kind of an impact here. Is there a better app out there
> to do the job? I'm dumping one full raw device to the other,
> not individual partitions. Could that be another problem?
>
> Thanks for any input, I'm at a complete loss here.
>
> Emmanuel

 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

Hildebrant's Principle:
	If you don't know where you are going,
	any road will get you there.