Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 15:50:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        degraz@sbohm.yi.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Root-Like telnet account

> Hi,

Please wrap your lines to 72 characters.

> I just installed FreeBSD on an older system I have, just to try it
> out, and would like to be able to telnet into it, and configure
> things remotely.  Is is possible to make it so that I can login from
> root, or that another account has many of the same pr
> velages as root, such as modifying configuration files?

You can, but you probably don't want to do that.  You should create
yourself a regular account, put it in the wheel group, and use su(1)
when you need to do administrative work.

> Also, when I login to through telnet, it connects, and sits for
> about 1-2 minutes before I get a login dialog.  After this, data
> transfers very quickly.  I get the same problem when logging into
> FTP, the client connects, but then times out.  FreeBSD giv
> s me some message about "icmp-response bandwidth limit 201/200 ppi."
> Does this have anything to do with the problem, and what can I do
> about it?

Could be.  The symptoms(sp?) you describe are most likely caused by an
incorrectly configured resolver.  Basically, services like telnet and
ftp try to get the DNS name associated with the address the connection
is coming from.  If the resolver isn't working correctly, it takes a
minute of two for the request to time out.  Make sure you have your
nameservers correct in /etc/resolv.conf.  Also take a look at `man
resolver`.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

"Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence."
	-- Napoleon Bonaparte