Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:36:23 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warner's PCI Modem Driver

"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:

<<good explanation deleted>>

> Bottom line, from some one in the busines for 10 years, you the consumer
> are getting just what you have been telling us the reseller you want,
> who have passed it right up the chain ``cheap parts''.

This is completely true.

> > For example, the guy - wholesaler tried to convince me that
> > Winmodems are modems without a DSP (Digital Signalling Processor)!
> He is somewhat correct, Winmodems have no _hardware_ DSP,
> they use the host processor to do the DSPing.

This is not (usually) true.  A controllerless modem has a DSP to do
the signal processing, but no controller to handle the 'AT' commands
and control the DSP.  These are what are usually called winmodems.

There *are* modems with no DSP, little hardware, except for the line
interface circuitry.  These are usually called "soft modem"s, where
the signal processing is done using the host CPU.  These save the < $5
cost of having a DSP on chip.  But when the consumers yell 'give me
cheap'...

Gary