Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2019 12:13:47 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>, Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
Subject:   power9: "Successfully booted an LLVM compiled kernel": Can kernel modules (.ko) be dynamically loaded?

As of when clang 5 (and later) became system clang,
I've found that .ko files started using R_PPC64_JMP_SLOT
r_types in .rela.plt sections. (My context, then and
now is still ELFv1 ABI and based on svn's head
materials.)

Last I checked, FreeBSD did not support R_PPC64_JMP_SLOT
and crashed during a dynamic-load of any(?) .ko that had
such.

So I've been building the modules that I want to use into
the kernel itself for when I experiment with clang-based
powerpc64 system builds.

(I've no clue if the R_PPC64_JMP_SLOT use is considered
"KBI" compliant or not vs. if FreeBSD is/was just
incomplete in its coverage of the "KBI" for pwoerpc64:
so which side should change.)

I recognize that power9 likely is based on the ELFv2
ABI.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com