Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:00:05 -0800
From:      herk <herk@cwnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   reg user cannot run X server

Hi, *questions.

As a 'regular user' on FreeBSD4.4/i386, I can't run X, emacs, mozilla,
etc. I installed
XFree86-4.1 after the base installation.  I've tried the xwrapper, and
it doesn't help.
Below is the screen output for several commands run by me as a regular
user.  Perhaps
someone might recognize something.

TRYING TO START X:
bash$ startx
Fatal server error:
Cannot open log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"

When reporting a problem related to a server crash,  please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"

giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errono 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errono 3): Server error

TRYING TO START MOZILLA:
bash$ mozilla
Type Manifest File:
/usr/local/myports/mozilla/mozilla/dist/bin/components/xpti.dat
nsNativeComponentLoader: autoregistering begins.
nsNativeComponentLoader: autoregistering succeeded
nNCL: registering deferred (0)
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

TRYING TO START EMACS:
bash$  emacs
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.

I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone.
Thanks
Herk Gibbs