Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 07:09:04 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "Ugen" <ugen@xonix.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: boot floppy: trying again

If its humanly possible to have problems comprehending official
documentation its highly likely that I'll be the first
to be tearing hair out in frustration .... however the issue of making the
two boot floppies is one thats never given me the slightest trouble. I have
noticed that a few people have tried to use a DOS / Windows "copy" command
with predictable results (generally "it won't fit"), but invariably when the
proper fdimage tool is used everything works fine. (and yes folks I have
heard of whatever it was before fdimage, but it doesn't work in W2K)

Something totally different that has caused me no end of trouble is use of
typically "brand name" machines (especially laptops). I've seen no end of
really weird "features" with some Compaq / Fujitsu / Digital / HP / Packard
Bell / NEC / etc boxes, whereas others claim they have machines of this ilk
working prefectly.  Wherever possible I use only "backyard built" machines
with relatively "standard" components (Intel CPUs / Adaptec SCSI adaptor /
ATI or S3 videocard / SMC NIC / etc because I've found they give me
infinitely less trouble than others.