Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 13:53:52 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        Eric Wayte <ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>, Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Advocacy

Donald Wilde wrote:
> Eric Wayte wrote:
> > I think this is a great idea!
> >
> > SuSE Linux has an 'automated' installation that automagically finds the
> > free slice on the disk, then configures the minimum Linux partitions for
> > installation before proceeding with the rest of the installation.
> >
> > I don't know about the other Linuxen as I've only 'experimented' with SuSE
> > before settling on FreeBSD.
> >
> Yes, that's it. We have auto-partitioning, all we would need is
> partition-finding.
>
> For me personally, I'm going to have to back away fom one or the other
> of these threads/projects. Ease of Install is one, and Demo Disk is the
> other. I choose Demo Disk, as I think it's an easier task technically,
> but those who want to work on the Install process simplification, I will
> be glad to assist with resources et al. Bob has already told me it's
> important to him, too, so that's an assurance that he will help as
> needed.

The thing that made installing FreeBSD easier for me was having a
printed walk through (from Greg's book) at my side.  Online docks are
good, but they're a little hard to get at in the middle of an install.
Perhaps a shorter version of TCF included with every CD set might be a
good idea?  Something that doesn't explain what you're doing, just
tells you what to do to get a working install.  The explanations can
come later.

This is something that I could actually work on, so here I go:

FreeBSD Installation Guide Project

We need:
Web space for a home site and a person (or two) to make the pages.
People with working knowledge of how to setup a basic LAN (NAT,
routed/gated, DNS, ipfw, ppp) to work with dialup or DSL/cable.
Proof-readers to make sure the information has as few knowledge
pre-requisites as possible.
Users who are very new to either FreeBSD or unix in general to read
through the instructions and point out anything we miss or take for
granted.
(anything else?)

We ask:

What topics do we need to cover?
Do we really need any printed man pages?
What information can be accessed from the CD prior to install?
What of that information is printable?
(any other points to address?)

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the