Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:00:56 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "David Kramer" <david@thekramers.net>, "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kramer" <david@thekramers.net>
To: "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 8:40 AM

> One of the aspects touted as FreeBSD's strenghts, the fact that all the
> software comes from one place, can also be seen as a weakness.  I could
> get RPM's for almost anything imaginable, because if one website doesn't
> have it, another one will.  For instance, Webmin 0.980 is available as of
> a few weeks ago, but the latest port is 0.970.  The packages for several
> Linux distros is already available.

Well, there are a lot of options, and that's the beauty of FBSD, and perhaps
            Linux as well.  For example, perhaps you could:
                a --- enable Linux compatibility and use an RPM from
                                your fave Tux distro
                b --- build from source
                c --- check www.freshports.org and see if it's there
                                before it's commited to /usr/ports
                d --- look for patches at webmin.org
                e --- offer to help the port maintainer get up to date?

I imagine that one very 'variable' variable in the "how things get
done" equation is how much time any given committer has at
any given time.   And, it wouldn't surprise me if, on average,
there are more people working on Linux distros than FBSD.

KDK