Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:46:50 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        kevin lui <kevinlui_hk@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie questions

kevin lui <kevinlui_hk@yahoo.com> types:
> Hello,
> 1. when i try to install StarOffice 5.2, I got a message that glic wrong
> version, it require glibc 2.1.1 or newer?  How can I got it work?

You're not using ports, are you? That library is in the linux_base
port, which the staroffice port will install if you haven't done so
already. If you don't have the ports tree installed, do so. Then
create the directory /usr/ports/distfiles/staroffice52, and put the
staroffice .bin files there. Then cd to
/usr/ports/editors/staroffice52 and type "make install" as root.

That will take care of most of these problems. If you get complaints
about "libvos1GCC.so: cannot open ...", make sure "/bin" is in your
path before anything else, and try doing the make again.

> 2.  I try to download QT library 2.2.4 from the trolltech , I managed to
> compile it, but when I make it, I got a message that " Error Code 1"
> when it reach the /usr/include/arpa/nameser.h :143: parse error before
> ';'            ---- Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is the problem and how to
> solve it?

After installing the ports, do "make install" in
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt22.

If you're not using the ports facility on FreeBSD, you're missing one
of it's most usefull features.

> 3.  there is a time, I try to move files from a protected floppy  "
> accidently " to a directory in the hardisk, The computer hangs!  Is this
>
> a known bug ? Any work arounds?

I recall hearing about it, but think it's been fixed. What OS are you
running, and what have you tried to solve the problem yourself?

	<mike