Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:44:12 +0200
From:      Willy Offermans <W.K.Offermans@TUe.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ppp connections but no packet mode

Dear people,

I have a problem concerning the ppp program.

If I use the ppp program in an interactiv way (via term), I can dial my
ISP and provide username and password, after that I expect the ppp to
change into a PPP. In ca. 75% of all cases this doesn't happen, instead
I receive some strange characters and the ppp goes back into command
mode. It takes some seconds before the program disconnects and the build
up of a connection has failed. However in ca. 25% of the cases I can
connect following the same procedure.

Following an example:

12:15 micky ~> /usr/sbin/ppp
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON micky> term
deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaa2
Type `~?' for help
AT&FE1V1&C1&D2S95=47S0=0S7=60S30=0L0M0\N3%C3&K3BN1X4DT**********
CARRIER 42667

PROTOCOL: LAP-M

COMPRESSION: V.42BIS

CONNECT 42667/ARQ
unauthorised access is prohibited
login:
Password:
˙bĀ!``ppp ON micky>
ppp ON micky>

Can someone help me to solve this problem?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Willy

*************************************