Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:16:57 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: resolv.conf - hosts

On 11/18/04 04:09 PM, Brian Henning sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:06:33 -0800 (PST), Bill Schoolcraft
> <bill@wiliweld.com> wrote:
> > At Thu, 18 Nov 2004 it looks like Brian Henning composed:
> >

> > > Greetings All:
> > >
> > > Is it possible to add a line above that name server entries in the
> > > resolv.conf file that will tell the system to check the hosts file for
> > > a resolution before querying the dns server(s)?
> >
> > That is normally done in /etc/nsswitch.conf
> >
> > --
> > Bill Schoolcraft
> > PO Box 210076
> > San Francisco,CA 94121
> > http://billschoolcraft.com
> >
> > "We can find no wealth above a healthy body and a happy heart."
> >

> I am running FBSD 4.10, does the /etc/nsswitch.conf file work on
> freebsd 4.10 or is it just for 5.X?

That's new in 5.3.  4.10 still uses /etc/host.conf.  In 5.3,
/etc/host.conf is automagically generated from /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Anything cut to length will be too short.