Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 23:10:00 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        bsq@sw.cas.uec.ac.jp
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NS* serial chips (was: ppp hangs)

[.....]
> > The only strange thing here is that there's no linefeed after the
> > ``16550A'' bit... but it's not strange enough to mean anything much
> > AFAIK.
> >
> > [.....]
>
> Sorry, I made some mistakes in converting the message to DOS style.
> Here is part of the verbose output of probe.
> -----
> sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio0: irq maps: 0x1 0x1 0x1 0x1
> sio0: probe failed test(s): 0 1 4 6 7 9

This is likely to be what the problem is.  Looks like your serial
chip isn't behaving as expected.

> sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
> sio0: type 16550A
> sio1: irq maps: 0x1 0x9 0x1 0x1
> sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
> sio1: type 16550A
> sio2: disabled, not probed.
> sio3: disabled, not probed.
> -----
> The UART is NS16550AN (I just checked on Windows 98).  Hope this to
> be useful too.  (The comments of sio.c says that "Serial drivers ...
> Works for ... NS8250-NS16550AF UARTs.")

I don't know much about the model numbers of these chips I'm afraid,
but from what you've already found out, it looks like it isn't in the
``works for'' list :-/

> Sorry again for my mistakes, and thank you very much.
>
> Bao

I've re-subjected this message in the hope that someone more
knowledgeable than me can comment.  FWIW, the -current version of
sio.c only boasts supporting up to the NS16550AF UART too.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;