Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:29:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Artur Grabowski <art@stacken.kth.se>
Cc:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley-185-205.res.iastate.edu>, freebsd-afs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arla 0.21..

On 8 Feb 1999, Artur Grabowski wrote:

> Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley-185-205.res.iastate.edu> writes:
>
> > I was happy to see that arla actually supports 4.0 now and works as
> > a kld..  A couple problems aside, it seems to work.
> >
> > First of all, it causes a kernel fault if used with a SMP kernel.
>
> *mumble* arla-drinkers@stacken.kth.se is the correct place to report
> bugs in Arla.. We will not bite you and if you are lucky maybe we will be
> able to fix the bug. ;)
>
> > Second, the FreeBSD kafs library is does not work so it is not
> > possible to get tokens.  It would be nice if we had this working
> > as well as an AFS tuneable in make.conf like OpenBSD.  Perhaps
> > just steal their stuff relating to this..
>
> I think it would be a bad idea beacuse I have integrated Arla into OpenBSD
> and libkafs in OpenBSD is almost completly rewritten (we now have a real
> syscall and don't have to assume that we got 210 in the lkm installation).
>
> But you can steal libkafs from OpenBSD 2.3. It should work without
> modifications on FreeBSD.

Art,

Currently the Coda kernel code is integrated into FreeBSD; how similar is
your xfs support to the venus code in the FreeBSD kernel and the protocol
they speak?  It would be great if they spoke the same protocol, reducing
the requirements for additional stuff in the kernel, especially given how
similar they are.  It would also get more people working on the code and
correcting bugs, improving caching, etc.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/