Date:      Sat, 8 Nov 2003 21:40:27 -0600
From:      "Minnesota Slinky" <mnslinky@yahoo.com>
To:        "'Minnesota Slinky'" <mnslinky@yahoo.com>, "'Kent Stewart'" <kstewart@owt.com>, "'Jason'" <jason@ec.rr.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: buildworld error

From: Minnesota Slinky [mailto:mnslinky@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 9:38 PM
To: 'Kent Stewart'; 'Jason'; 'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'

AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc
(952) 403-9000

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Kent Stewart
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 2:27 PM
To: Jason; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

On Saturday 08 November 2003 12:10 pm, Jason wrote:
>     Last night I updated all my source files to buildworld, but ran
into
> a problem.  I tried to build it 3 times, and each time it stops at the
> same spot.  If I retype the last commands show letter for letter they
> work.  It stops at something like $gzip -cn cvs.info > cvs.info.gz.
If
> I immediately enter this command after the error it does not work, but
> above it is a 3 line command for makeinfo.  If I renter this command
> then the gzip works.  If this just some small glitch in some config
file
> that has already been fixed?  If it has not been fixed, or no one
knows,
> what file show I look into to correct this myself?  I am running 5.1
> with my cvs tag set to current.  The error occurs about 38 minutes
into
> the build, so I would  be glad to try suggestions but I don't want to
> waste a day on this.
> Thanks,
> Jason

First rule of thumb is to re-cvsup src-all after you have waited awhile.
If
that doesn't work, include the error messages.

If you are following -current, you should also be subscribed to the
lists that
deal with problems, such as cvs-all, hackers, -current, and etc. You can
see
the problem being addressed and then fixed.

This used to be part of the suggested requirements for following stable
and
they definitely apply to current.

Kent

--