Date:      Sat, 09 Sep 2000 18:34:25 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with StarOffice package install

On 9/9/00, 4:47:38 PM, Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote regarding Help =

with StarOffice package install:

> I am running FBSD 3.4R.
> I have just installed the star office package via:

> #  pkg_add staroffice-3.1.tgz

> This returns the message:

> WARNING:  In order for this package to work correctly, the following
>           steps _must_ be taken :
>   - The Linux libc in /compat/linux must be upgraded to 5.4.4 or=20
later.
>     This can be achieved by installing version 2.4 or later of the
>     linux_lib port, or by fetching a later version manually.
>   - The Linux 'ldconfig' program must be run to update the library
>     cache details for Linux programs.

> NOTE:  Do not follow the installation instructions included with the
>        StarOffice distribution, as these are not required.  The first
>        time a user runs a StarOffice application, the installation
>        program will be run, which will establish their personal
>        configuration.

> --
> My question is, what is this really saying and what is the easiest way=
=20
> do it?

> In /compat/linux/lib I have

> root     wheel     3070220 Oct 13  1998 libc-2.0.7.so*
> root     wheel          13 May  2 18:43 libc.so.6 ->libc-2.0.7.so*

> Is the warning saying that I need to install linux_base-5.4.4.tgz to=20
get
> libc-2.4.so? If so, where do I get the linux_base. Or can I just find =

> copy of libc-2.4.so and copy it to /compat/linux/lib ?

> Thanks

Dear Jim Freeze,

Did you try to launch StarOffice 3.1 ? Did it work ? What happened=20
exactly ?

<very wild guess>
I am not quite sure about those version numbers; apparently, they look=20
all right.=20

The linux_lib port, AFAIR, is an **old** port -- IIRC, it was=20
substituted by the linux_base port (/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base).
</very wild guess>

HTH a little bit,
Salvo