Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2001 19:07:19 +0800
From:      "Wing Tim" <twchim1@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems about routing

Hello,

I have 3 machines. Machine 1 has 1 Ethernet card E1 with IP 192.168.0.1 and
is running Windows 2000 Server. Machine 2 has 2 Ethernet cards E2 with IP
192.168.0.2 and E3 with IP 192.168.0.3 and is running FreeBSD 4.2 Release.
Machine 3 has 1 Ethernet card E4 with IP 192.168.0.4. I really want to use
the FreeBSD machine to control the data flow between Machine 1 and Machine 3
and so I have set up a firewall gateway in it. I have added the following
into the kernel configuration file GENERIC:

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT = 200
options         IPDIVERT

options        DUMMYNET
options        BRIDGE

Then recompile everything and add the following into rc.conf:
gateway_enable=YES
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
firewall_quite="NO"

sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge=1

After that, I found Machine 1 can ping E2 and E3 but not E4. Also Machine 2
can ping E1 and E4. Upon running "ifconfig -a", I found E2 belongs to xl0
and E3 belongs to vx0. However, when running "netstat -r", I totally can't
find the entry of vx0 just like those for xl0. Can anyone tell me what
mistake I have made? What should I change so that Machine 1 can ping Machine
3?

Thanks very much for all your help!

Regards,
Wing