Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:27:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Debug kernel by default (was: System size with -g)

On Monday,  5 April 1999 at 11:25:44 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> Greg Lehey writes:
>
>> Interestingly enough, we are currently discussing this in -hackers.
>> We're thinking about changing the way the kernel is built so that a
>> debug kernel will be the default.
>
> I think this is a terrible idea, except possibly for -current.
> I run a lot of FreeBSD machines, all of them -release (though
> some might move to -stable if needed).  They never crash and I
> expect they never will, so debug kernels are just a waste of
> resources as far as I'm concerned.  I'm sure this applies to
> lots of people who run production machines.

That's the whole problem.  Then you get a mystery crash which is never
repeated, and because you don't have a debug kernel you can't analyse
it.

> At the very least, the decision to build a debug kernel should
> be up to the installer

Yes, we never disputed this.

> and should default to non-debug.

So far, you're the only person to voice this opinion.

> After all, those people who might do anything with a debug kernel
> can easily read the instructions on building/installing such a thing
> and those people who just want to use FreeBSD won't be burdened with
> the extra compilation time, disk space, memory waste during normal
> operation, etc., associated with a debug kernel.

I don't think you've read my proposition properly.  You certainly
haven't replied to the points I raised.

Greg