Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:01:43 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Kutulu" <kutulu@kutulu.org>, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Lockdown of FreeBSD machine directly on Net

	This may be a pain, but you're right in that it is better than the
alternatives.
	Imagine, if you will, stepping into an environment that has absolutely no
network documentation, services aren't running properly, and there is no one
left from the previous administration staff.  The only things you have to go
on are the manuals (which are for 3 versions of software prior to the
version you're running) and a new management team that have decided to make
wholesale changes that destroy the current configuration and need your help
immediately to fix those problems.

	What would you do?  I, for some reason, took the job and it ended up being
a lot of fun... 'course, I'm one of these sick people that enjoys stepping
into the middle of a sh*tstorm and trying to sort things out.  During my
first month there, I tore everything down, documenting the old system, and
rebuilding it properly, documenting the new system.  That, in my opinion, is
the only way that you can truly get something like that fixed.

	When my clients have had me come on-site to make any sort of changes, I
keep two logs -- one for them, and one for me.  That way, when I go back, I
can see what they've done, and compare it with the notes that I've got.
Along with that, I tell them that I'll fix anything that I manage to break
on my own dime (haven't had to yet), but if they have someone else in and
they mess things up that they should expect a good sized bill.

> > > If a secretary does this, they need to be fired,
> > > period.
> >
> > In some organizations (many, in fact), she might be fired for
> _not_ doing it, as
> > few people understand the risk to security that doing something
> like this
> > represents, and they would interpret her refusal as a lack of
> team spirit or
> > cooperation or some such.
>
> Our company used to have this problem: everyone at level one on
> the internal corp.
> help desk has full admin rights to the Novell network.  They
> would get in trouble
> for making unauthorized changes when unimportant people (me)
> asked, but also get
> reprimanded when important people (VPs of other departments)
> asked and were told
> to fill out change reqs.  Finally their manager put an
> authorization code on the
> admin tools, so they need managerial authorization to make those
> changes.  At
> first it was annoying, but in the end everyone was happier,
> safer, and more
> secure.

	Documentation, organization and hierarchical authorization... three keys to
a successful IT department.

--- Andy