Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 16:08:38 -0700
From:      "Robert Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, andy@kksonline.com
Subject:   Re: ssh connect not possible

I didn't notice if anyone responded to your question yet so I'll give it a =
go.

What kind of machine are you trying to connect with, Windoze or Freebsd?
If you are connecting from a freebsd box, then start ssh with the -v =
switch,
ssh -v somemachine.  This will put it in verbose mode and show what it is
doing.

Make sure you know what the passwd is on the freebsd machine.
You could also kill the sshd on the freebsd machine and start it again =
with
the -d switch.  When the server is started with the -d switch it will not =
fork=20
other children so only one connection is possible with this switch.  It =
will put=20
the server in debug mode and display the connection from the other machine
which if you start with the -v switch will display what it's doing.

This should give you more insight as to what is happening with the server
and client.  If you still can't get it then copy the out put of the server =
with the=20
-d switch and the client with the -v switch to me and I will try to help =
you
further.
>>> Aleksander Rozman - Andy <andy@kksonline.com> 4/29/99 12:29:42 PM >>>

Hi !

While ago I installed 3.1 FreeBSD. Before that I had 2.7.2. On 2.* I used
ssh and it worked fine. After I installed 3.1 (this time with encryption
libraries) and now I can't access my machine with ssh. It always said that
I don't have right password. I worked with telnet for quite some time now,
but I am worried about security. Can somebody tell me how can I make
passwords readable by ssh.

Have nice time,
Andy
*  Aleksander Rozman - Andy  * Member of:  E2:EA, E2F, SAABer, Trekkie,  *
*     andy@mail.kks.net      * X-Phile, Heller's angel, True's screamer, *
*    andy@atechnet.ml.org    * True's Trooper, Questie, Legacy, PO5,     *
* Maribor, Slovenia (Europe) * Profiler, Buffy (Slayerete), Pretender    *
*     PGP key available      *    http://www.atechnet.ml.org/~andy/      *