Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:14:04 +1000
From:      Michael Baxter <fineprint@wr.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   problem installing 4.2 stable

Hi - I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.2 stable from floppies made from a linux
central cd. The floppies have been used to install a system on an old pentium
and still boot that system ok.

             But when I try to boot a 486 the bootloader says it can't find
                     'kernel' then 'kernel.old'.

             From the 'ok' prompt I get after that, the ls command gives:
                     open '/' failed: input/output error

             I can boot ok using dos and redhat 7.1 diskettes in the floppy
drive so it seems to be alright.

              Any suggestions please - I'm stuck.

                         tia,
                            Michael Baxter.