Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:59:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xmcd now requires ATAPICAM for IDE CD-ROM?

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> The latest version of xmcd segfaults when I try to run cda (under
> FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT), just after reading (or attempting to read)
> /etc/nsswitch.conf, it looks like.
>
> I'm not using ATAPICAM in my kernel, but browsing through the port, it looks
> like there may be a dependency on CAM(?).

Wasn't there a bug in libc that was recently fixed?  I
seem to recall it had something to do with nsswitch...

  RCS file: /opt/FreeBSD/cvs/src/lib/libc/net/nsdispatch.c,v
  Working file: nsdispatch.c
  head: 1.12
  branch:
  locks: strict

  [ ... ]

  ----------------------------
  revision 1.12
  date: 2004/04/01 19:12:45;  author: nectar;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -3
  The previous commit changed the behavior of nsdispatch() in the
  case where an /etc/nsswitch.conf file was present, but could not
  be opened (e.g. due to permissions).  Previously, the open failure
  condition was suppressed, and the built-in defaults were used.  In
  revision 1.11, however, propagated the open failure causing all
  nsdispatch() invocations to return NS_UNAVAIL, and thus many APIs
  including getpwnam and gethostbyname unconditionally failed.

  This commit restores the previous behavior.

  Pointy hat:     nectar  (+1 for obstinance; ache had to use clue bat)
  Reported by:    ache

--
Dan Eischen